Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Weekend Plans

I am leaving on Friday for a weekend trip with my sixth, seventh and eighth grade youth. Our church Conference is hosting a rally for middle school students on the Jamestown College campus. Jamestown College is less than an hour and a half from home, which is good for several reasons. Reason #1, middle schoolers tend to be a bit more on the homesick side and having to drive 45 minutes to meet mom and dad in the middle is far better than 4 hours. Reason #2, when I return home on Sunday having gotten 5 hours of sleep the entire weekend, I can be in bed asleep by 12:30!
I have the privilege of serving my church as a Youth Worker. Love my job! I also sit on the Conference Council for Youth Ministry. This means I have extra responsibilities during this event. I run the bookstore for youth workers and students. I also teach two clown workshops and present our songs at Saturday evening worship. Piece of cake! I have been clowning for 15 years and could do it in my sleep --- and I have!! I have two brave adults from our church coming along as chaperones. These women are among the few who will give up their weekend to accompany our seven kids to a college campus, sleep on the floor in a gym with 200 other girls, eat in a cafeteria, shower in a locker room and come home smiling! God bless them!
I travel with my youth group kids about six times a year and have the packing for these events down to a science. I have an air mattress that inflates in about 45 seconds and I couldn't travel without that baby. I bring sheets instead of a sleeping bag as it never fails that the girls sleep in the gym with the "Screaming Heater of Death" and it's 92 degrees all night! Flashlights are a must when stepping gingerly over sleeping bodies to go to the bathroom. They also work well for identifying noise makers, penny throwers, and fake coughers after lights out! Flip flops are necessary when showering in the locker rooms. A bag for wet towels is always a good idea. And my special secret stash of chocolate that make me the envy of every chaperone and, when necessary, makes a good bribe.
Space is always a premium when traveling with teenage girls, so I try very hard to instill in them some basic rules of packing:
1. We are not going to a remote Arctic outpost for months -- we are going to be gone for 48 hours. Leave the 17 pairs of shoes, 23 of your 30 outfits and half of your hair accessories at home!
2. Do not pack your money in your suitcase. Lisa will not be a happy camper if you get out of the car for lunch and ask her to unpack the trunk so you can get your lunch money!
This event will feature those giant inflatable games, which are a blast! The middle schoolers think that they have died and gone to heaven when they enter a gym full of these giant toys. Adults need to be cautioned, as one of last year's chaperones broke her arm while racing on the obstacle course. I once got my long hair caught in the bungy cord during a racing game. Let's just say that hair should be securely fastened to avoid a similar fate.
The best part about these rallies is the worship. They always have amazing praise bands and you learn new praise choruses every time you go. My absolute favorite part of worship is taking part in the kids' uninhibited praise. They dance, they form conga lines, they raise their hands and have a blast praising their God. I always come back refreshed and spiritually fed!
We leave on Friday evening and will return home on Sunday about noon. By 12:30 p.m. I will have turned off the cell phone, pulled the shades and given Lucy a big bone. As I settle into my comfy bed, I will give thanks for my weekend and thank God the next one is two months away!

1 comment:

Steve at Random said...

Lisa...thanks for the post...gives me more insight into what goes on at the Crossing. I don't believe I would have the stamina for all the activities. I went to a youth camp with the boys in probably 1997-98. It was fun and we made lots of memories. I also agree with the flip-flops in the shower.