Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Child's View of Easter

One of the many blessings of my ministry at our church is working with the Wonderful Wednesday After School Crew. The children are kindergarten through fifth grade, so we have a wide range of ages and knowledge bases. Those of you who have children know better than I that the way children see the world and interpret events can be a bit different than they really are. For instance, the Lord's prayer is full of big words that children do not understand. Let's face it, some adults struggle with the concepts as well. I had heard a story of a child praying the Lord's Pray, "Our Father, who art in heaven, hello - what is your name?"
My e-mail inbox held this jewel several years ago. When asked to explain the significance of Easter, a child replied, "It's the day when Jesus came out of the tomb. If He sees His shadow, we have six more weeks of winter." Interesting thought!
A couple of years ago, I was playing a trivia game about Lent and Easter. I asked the question where was Jesus arrested on Maundy Thursday. I was looking for one or two answers; either the Garden of Gethsemane or the Mount of Olives. The answer I got was the Olive Garden. Puts a different twist of things, doesn't it? If you were going to eat your last meal on earth, the Olive Garden is an excellent choice.
Last Sunday, we celebrated Palm Sunday. This is one of my favorite Sundays. The elementary Sunday School children parade around the sanctuary waving their palm branches and singing their pure praises to God. I am imagine that God smiles as He watches this procession.
On Easter Sunday, these same children will be dressed in their Easter clothes and excited as they check out the Easter Bunny's gifts. The little girls will have Easter hats that will quickly be flung under the pew. The little boys may sport a bow tie and a vest. They will sing at the top of their lungs and wiggle to get a better view of the service. By the end of the morning of worship, breakfast, Sunday School, worship, they will grow tired and impatient to be out where they can run and be loud. As I watch this scene play out, I believe that they really understand it better than we do -- something special and exciting is happening and they want in on the action. Let us all proceed to Easter like children.

4 comments:

Steve at Random said...

The smile of a child...last night Dad and I went to the grocery store as things at home have been neglected for too long and the cupboards were getting to look bare. Adrian and her mom and brother were at the store. Kathy came and asked how we were doing. I was in a bit of panic because I had left the grocery list somewhere. So as I was walking away, Andrian smilled at me said, "Hello, how are you?" It was the first time in years she's ever even acknowledged my existence. You know, I just couldn't help from feeling a little better about life in general. At the end of the shopping spree, Dad and I meet up with Kathy again. She said, "I see you use the criss-cross method of shopping. I do too, it's the only way to shop." Those kind words make you glad your part of a family, a church family.

I've got one other story that I want to share. My uncle was a bar fly all of his life. When he was young, he got into a wreck and needed some blood. My dad went to his brother's favorite hangout and asked the men in the bar if they would be willing to donate a pint of blood to help their buddy. No one moved to help. And yet our church has been providing meals to a family that really don't know...they just know the sister of the mom who's child was hurt in an accident. Hmmm!

Lisa Grace said...

The kindness in an ordinary moment can be the most extraordinary blessing. Unexpected encounters can change the course of a day. I am constantly amazed at the ability of our church family to be right there when you need them. And often times, a little child shall lead them!

Steve at Random said...

Maybe...but I think the leader is you. In almost every instance, I find you in the middle of the muddle and showing us how to paddle out of the puddle. In other words, I thank you very much.

Lisa Grace said...

Thank you for the kind words.