Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Beauty of Simplicity

Imagine my surprise when turning my weekly calendar page on Monday to find that Thanksgiving is next week! I still haven't planned or embarked on last summers' vacation. I still have Halloween candy in the cupboard! I haven't unpacked my winter clothes from storage. Guess it's time to step it up. After all, Christmas decorations have been in the stores for at least a month already.
My Thanksgiving destination this year is over the river and through the subdivision to my brother and sister-in-law's house. It'll be a typical Rhodes' holiday with lots of food, plenty of snacks, grandpa sleeping in the recliner and everyone planning Black Friday strategies. We'll stay up late playing cards and laughing until someone spits soda out their nose (usually me!). My parents' Golden Retriever puppy, Penny, will play with Lucy, my Golden until they collapse on the floor, completely spent. My friend, Julie and her children will occupy the guest rooms and we'll stay up way too late talking. On Friday morn, we'll stumble from our beds way too early and battle the Black Friday crowds in search of Christmas gifts and great deals. The weekend will be that awkward time between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the tree isn't up yet, but the television has started their parade of Christmas specials. Sunday, November 29th is the first Sunday of Advent and before we know it, Christmas will be here.
Last week, my aunt was transferred to a local hospital after she was rediagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. This is her fourth trip down this particular road and none of us are excited about the trip, especially her. Anyone who has spent even one night in the hospital as a patient knows that you turn in your privacy and dignity at the door. Your gown is one-size-fits-none and covers minimally. There is a steady stream of people in and out of your room at all hours of the day and night. People ask very intrusive questions and don't seem phased a bit by the answers. In the midst of that, you feel sick and you may be scared. You consent to medical procedures that sound painful and frightening. And you wait.
On Tuesday, my aunt was given the green light to go home. After two and a half weeks of inpatient hospital care, she was free to go. And go she did, shepherded home by my brother and I. She was so excited as we pulled into the yard. Her German Shepherd, Pepsi, was there to greet her. We unloaded the care and settled her in. After a few minutes, we were back on the road, eager to start a long trip back to our homes.
As I lay in my bed that night, I began to count my own blessings. Laying in my own comfy bed with Lucy snuggled beside me. A cold glass of water on the bedside table. Heat and shelter and food and clothes. My family and friends and health.
Yesterday at church, we spent time with the children and youth giving thanks for God's blessings. We automatically included family. It was easy for them to name the "things" that they were thankful for - MP3 players, cell phones, game systems and pets were at the top of their lists and rightly so. However, when I asked them to name stuff that they were thankful for that wasn't "stuff" at all, that slowed them down a bit. With a little prompting, the began to name their talents, abilities, friends and health.
I challenged them to count their blessings every day, including the things that didn't seem like blessings at the time. Those circumstances that reveal strength you didn't know you possessed. The times you saw God's strength when your strength was gone. Those moments of refinement when you can feel the fire. Our good friend, Job, told his wife "Are we to accept only good things from God and not bad?". Those are the things taht are harder to be thankful for; and yet God asks us to praise and worship Him for those things to.
As I approach this Thanksgiving, I am going to take time every day to thank God for the little things that make my life so sweet, three year old smiles and children's hugs, soft socks and puppy kisses. I encourage you to make some to count your simple blessings. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: