Thursday, August 8, 2013

Week 18: Run, Forest, Fun!

I didn't realize I had gone so long between posts.  Summer is speeding along and I have been running (literally and figuratively) to keep up. 
My summer can be measured by events:  first week of June is Annual Conference. July 4th means parade float.  The end of July and early August is Vacation Bible School.  Youth Group Labor Day Retreat and then fall programs start.  Yikes!  I am between VBS and Labor Day retreat. 
My exercise and training sessions have been a bit haphazard, I am sad to admit. 
My Personal Trainer (PT) and I have struggled a bit to find times when we can train.  The week of Vacation Bible School tends to be hectic as my day begins at 6:15 a.m. and very seldom ends before 10:30 p.m.  However, before VBS, I had been doing some running outside and on the treadmill and I have been enjoying that a bit more than I am willing to admit!
One of my favorite movies is "Forest Gump", a movie about a simple minded man whose life is quite extraordinary, sometimes by accident.  When he is a young boy, he has to wear braces on his legs due to a back condition, which causes an awkward gait and an audience with Elvis Presley. (Watch the movie for further explanation).  This results in years of teasing from his peers.  His best friend, Jenny, tells him to run away from his tormenters.  As he puts on the speed, his leg braces fall off and he has this amazing swiftness.
When I get on the treadmill, I immediately feel like the leg-braced Forest Gump.  I have struggled to get the hang of walking on the treadmill, much less running.  It always makes me feel a bit dizzy walking on a stationary machine. Holding on to the handles of the treadmill while running really does bad things for my stride and I end up with terrible shin splints.  I have left the gym frustrated more than once:  treadmill - 1, Lisa - zip! I carefully exit the treadmill as I feel like I am on a crabby boat in "Deadliest Catch". 
I am no long distance runner and do not see any marathons in my future.  As my favorite commercial character states, "I would run a marathon, but that's a really long way".  So true.  I do, however, enjoy incorporating the running into my training sessions. 
One morning, I woke feeling jaunty and decided that I was going to get the hang of running on the treadmill regardless of what it was going to take.  I was silently praying it wouldn't take crutches and a physical therapist
.  I wasn't training with PT that day and had been instructed to do cardio when I don't someone who can watch me closely so I don't crash.  I chose a treadmill in the corner so my failed attempts would not be so noticeable, or at least caught on someone's cell phone for posting on the internet.  I started by walking and increasing the speed a little bit at a time without hanging on.  After I got the hang of that, I bumped up the speed and began to jog.  Some trial and error taught me that I need to run toward the middle of the conveyor belt instead of toward the front (where the handles and controls are).  My stride felt good and I enjoyed several minutes of pleasant jogging.  I walked and ran about two and a half miles.  After I slowed the treadmill down for some cool down walking, I gingerly got off and headed to the bikes.  I was so excited that I had learned a new skill.  Now I know how Lucy feels when she learns a new trick!  Unfortunately, there were no milkbone treats for me -- too many carbs!
I am continuing to struggle with my blood sugar and feel frustrated when my training sessions and exercise end with a bolus of glucose and a case of the shakes.  Fortunately both PT and my exercise partner have successfully navigated some ugly blood sugar crashes and take it in stride.  PT has gotten good at recognizing something isn't right, which is impressive as I would say that I'm "not quite right" most of the time! 
When I am sitting at my desk at work, my low blood sugars are heralded by a shaking-sweaty feeling that can be countered with a few chocolate kisses and a couple of spoonsful of peanut butter.  Not pleasant, but not too bad.  When I am exercising, I don't usually have my "early detection symptoms".  I go from OK to really not OK in minutes.  I feel far off and have trouble focusing my eyes. I start to shake and my hear rate goes up.  I struggle to respond to questions.  I can hear the questions being asked, but cannot formulate an appropriate response, like "yes".  Most people notice my lows because I get quiet.  That is always out of character for me!
There is an amazing product on the market called "Quick Sticks". Quick Sticks are an oversized pixie-stick-like powder that you just pour into your mouth. I always carry a quick stick with my water bottle whenever I am in the gym.  They are marketed for kids and the packaging reflects their target audience.  However, they are mighty amazing for adults too. 
Earlier this week, I crashed and burned in the gym in the matter of just a couple of minutes.  PT came to ask if I was OK as I did my cool down and all I could do is shake my head "no".  It took him just a couple of seconds to locate the Quick Stick and open it.  It took me a bit longer to get it to my mouth with very shaky hands.  I inhaled a bit of the powder (not highly recommended) and started coughing.  My water bottle is a no-spill bottle, which means you have to bite down and suck on the mouthpiece at the same time to get water.  It's great when you are on the elliptical or the treadmill, but not great when you are unable to handle drinking water.  So, as I am coughing and trying to get water out of that silly bottle, I take off the cap and proceed to pour most of the water down my shirt.  Yep, that's why I can't pick up guys at the gym!  PT reassured me, saying "it just looks like you sweat a lot".  Thanks, but not quite what I am going for!!
 PT went to refill my water bottle. By the time PT had returned (literally just a minute), my color was better and I could focus my eyes.  PT stuck close as I finished my "stick" and my pulse rate returned to normal (PT was as cool as a cucumber).  The "sticks" can raise my blood sugar 50 points in less than five minutes! 
I always leave the gym less than happy after one of these episodes, but I am blessed to have people who are willing to stick it out with me. 
So, in summary, I am running and it isn't pretty, but I am having a blast.  If you see me online, let me know so I can pop some popcorn and enjoy it too.

1 comment:

Steve at Random said...

I haven't checked out your blog for a while. This one is a bit scary. I remember my mom's blood sugar dropping as she got older and it was always quite challenging. Our "cure" was orange juice with sugar in it.