Friday, November 14, 2008

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

I really like how the munchkins introduced themselves to Dorothy after she landed in Oz. With great song and dance, they each stepped forward, extended a quick greeting and moved into the background. Due partly to my Methodist upbringing and lack of coordination, there will be no dancing from me. I can sing, but feel most comfortable doing this in front of people who already love me for who I am, ie church family and my pets. Budget constraints prohibit any big band background music and special effects are out of the question -- I think that the witch in the movie was burned pretty badly. I have a history of being somewhat accident prone, so we'd best make this simple.
I can pretty much guarantee that I have very little to say that anyone would think profound. I am the daughter of a two preachers and am now serving in ministry myself. This has taught me that although you may be talking, that doesn't mean that anyone's listening. I just hope to give another perspective on what the Lord promised would be "life, more abundantly".
I serve in youth ministry, which makes me a little different from the average person. I can pull allnighters with the ease of a college student, know how to create a bible illustration with just a laffy taffy and masking tape and have a fondness for doritoes at 6 a.m.
Working with youth definitely keeps you humble. Pride deflates quickly when the kids reminisce about the time I scared some junior high boys at 3 a.m. when my uncontrollable hair was illuminated by lightening in a dark sleeping area.
Youth ministry isn't for the faint of heart (or stomach). Being a seasoned youth worker means you've come through years of ministry unscathed and know which battles need to be fought. I have been serving in youth ministry for 15 plus years and still feel like a novice. I have many youth worker collegues who have worked in this ministry field for 20 some years and stand in wonder at their longevity. You can spot these veterans from across a crowded cafeteria. They are admired for their willingness to put their comfort aside and sleep on an air mattress in a cold gym with 200 other teenage girls at a weekend youth event. They have been asked questions in confidence that keep them awake at night. They have spent three days on a bus with a group suffering from stomach bugs collected at a Mexican mission project site and sign up the next year. They can sing the "dead reindeer song" in their sleep -- and probably have.
I love that God has called me to this ministry. It is awesome to see God work in the lives of His children. Despite the tough stuff that goes with this occupation, I couldn't imagine not having this in my life. My prayer is that God would be reflected in my life and people would recognize His fingerprints all over me.
God bless --- and pass the doritoes!

1 comment:

Steve at Random said...

El Gee - You brave woman. Welcome to the world of bloggers. It's harder than it looks because you'll think that it has to be time to write something and writer's block will set in. However, I feel honored to be the first one to write a comment. Go back to my block and tell Ar Vee how to make dumplings before he chokes to death on red noodles and garlic sausage.