Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Let It Snow -- OK, That's enough!

After enduring several winters in a row that gave us very little snow, Mother Nature has once again given us snow. Not just one winter storm, but two. The last one left quite a mess in its wake. We got about a foot of the white stuff with wind and a wind chill that makes even the most prim person say Wow!.
The storm moved in Saturday night and by 6 a.m. Sunday morning had dropped enough snow that I couldn't open my front door or get my car out of the garage. My puppy, Lucy, is a 90 pound puppy that stands about 3 feet at the head. She jumped out into the snow and sank up to her armpits. Looking at me pitifully, her eyes shouted, "Come get me!" Now I haven't been able to carry my "puppy" in quite some time. I had to coax her back inside the garage or she would be out there until Spring!
The powers that be advised no travel as there was zero visibility and a dangerous wind chill. By 7 a.m. we had cancelled our worship services that included our Christmas Program. After waking up several people to give them the good news, I settled in to enjoy my snow day.
This only worked until about 9 a.m. when I once again returned to reality and tried to figure out how long it would take me to remove all of this beautiful snow from my driveway, sidewalks and car pad. If my calculations were correct, it added up to 2 years, 3 months and 14 days.
Wait -- do you here the trumpet as the calvary comes up over the hill?
Angels of mercy appeared with a snowblower and three shovels and whisked the snow away faster than you can say "Wow that's amazing that you would come to my house and remove the snow! You are my favorite people in the whole world. Merry Christmas to you, your children and your grandchildren!"
Accepting not so much as a cup of cocoa, they were off to rescue others trapped in their houses and I was free once again to enjoy my snow day. Lucy and I watched Christmas movies and napped. With windchills at 30 below, it was a wise decision.
Monday came soon enough with frozen cars, frozen people and icy exchanges as people inpatiently waited for tow trucks to arrive. But for one beautiful day, I enjoyed the snow.

3 comments:

Steve at Random said...

Christmas movies would have been nice, but alas, the beautiful blushing bride Belinda had purchased tickets to the Dakota Stage production of "The Christmas Story" about the cute nine-year-old and his facination with B-B gun. So, after lunch it was fire up the snow blower and the car and head over to Bismarck. At a quarter to four -- before the play had ended -- it was head back to Mandan so Scott could head to Bismarck for his job. Again, it would have been nice to stay in and watch Christmas movies. The one thing I truly discovered, however, is how long Sunday mornings are if you aren't in church.

Rich said...

Hi Lisa,

This is your cousin, Rich, from Spokane. We've already had about 25 inches of snow here with more on the way. The temps are around 2 degrees f. with minus temps at night. Most of us have had enough and are ready for spring.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Take care,
Rich and Gayla

Lisa Grace said...

Wow! 25 inches of snow! Hope you were blessed with snowblowing angels! Merry Christmas!