Monday, December 22, 2008

Life with Lucy

I am going to risk sounding like a spinster aunt that lives in the guest room for 15 years, but one of my best friends has four legs, 2 beautiful brown eyes and a tongue six feet long. Like with Lucy began about this time last year.
My beautiful brown-eyed girl and Golden Retriever, Taffy, died very suddenly at the vet on December 20, 2007 from a brain tumor or aneurysm that we weren't aware she had. I was heartbroken. No more excited greeting at the end of the day. No guardian and protector from the noises you hear when you live alone. No sympathetic ear to listen to my trouble and take my side every time.
I had told everyone I had no desire or stamina for a puppy. Puppies are a lot of work -- housebreaking, chewing, getting up at night to taken them out. I just couldn't fill up this hole in my heart with another animal. It doesn't work that way ~ until.....
My father has a connection with a breeder near their home in South Dakota. They had a 10 week old Golden Retriever puppy that they needed a home for. The breeder sent pictures. I was in love!
Taffy always had a habit of putting her chin into my hand and would look up at me with her beautiful eyes. Well, you can imagine my reaction when the first picture I opened of the puppy had her chin in the breeders hand, trying hard to avoid getting her picture taken.
I made the trip down to South Dakota to pick up the puppy. After waiting impatiently, a huge pick-up pulled into the driveway, a big man got out and took a little puppy from the back and walked to the door. She was dirty from playing, scared and very sad. She was beautiful. I signed some paperwork and she was all mine.
We made the trek into the big city of Watertown to get puppy necessities - collar, leash, food, bowls, toys. Let's just say it was probably one of the most expensive Christmas gifts my parents have ever given me.
We discovered she gets carsick and she got her first bath in a utility sink that night. We spent many hours outside trying to get the hang of this concept "outside - good, inside - bad". I tried to kennel her that first night, but she cried and I caved. She likes to sleep with her muzzle across my neck and cuddling close as possible.
Big dogs are much easier to housebreak than smaller dogs, or so they say. January, 2008 was super cold. She was so confused as to why this crazy lady was dragging her around the backyard in the freezing cold. I couldn't understand why she never got a clue why we were outside in the middle of the night!
After about 3 days without a formal title except "no no, puppy", we named her Lucy. Those first nine months were tough - accidents, chewing of shoes, chasing of kitties. There were times when I would call my friend, Deb, and ask if she needed another dog. Through those nine months, we learned to read each other pretty well. Lucy has beautiful brown eyes and is a very good listener. I look forward to coming home at the end of the day to a hero's welcome every night.
Last night, we reached 25 below zero. I could hear the wind blowing outside. Lucy jumped onto the bed, all 90 pounds of her. She takes her side of the bed out of the middle. Laying with a huge puppy across your chest is not too relaxing, but soon she finds just the right spot with her muzzle on my neck. We settle in and I thank God for this gentle beast -- one of the best gifts I have ever received.

2 comments:

Steve at Random said...

Must be pet week...I just finished reading Randy's adventures with a cat at Johnson's wrecking yard. Be sure and check that one out -- can't say I saw it coming. Lucy sounds like a great companion. I liked the way you told us that Lucy hogs the bed -- without really saying it. Good use of "understatement."

Lisa Grace said...

Thanks for the feedback. I've read Randy's account of his cat encounter. It's very entertaining.