Monday, May 20, 2013

Week 7: On Your Marks...

Our North Dakota spring weather has been a bit unpredictable, to put it mildly.  Our huge April snowfall delayed our May showers and we haven't been able to string together any sort of stable weather pattern.  I leave the house in the morning in jeans and a long sleeved shirt, only to roast when the temperature hits eighty degrees by noon.  I brazenly wore sandals and capris to a sand volleyball league meeting and drove home with the heat on my frozen toes. 
When I lived in Wisconsin, my coworkers would joke with me about how windy it is on my beloved prairie.  Their favorite question was "what happens to the people in North Dakota when the wind stops blowing?  They fall over!"  Tuesday morning was covered by a high wind alert and I was sure that I would look "windblown" all day.  I was in for a pleasant surprise when it was merely breezy by the late afternoon.  The sun was shining and my personal trainer (PT) decided that we should go outside for some warm up and cardio. 
I am sorry to admit that I have come to rely upon lunges and squats as great stretches before I move into anything more vigorous.  They also serve as a great barometer for my arthritic knees.  If my knees are sore, we need to take longer to warm up and amend the work out. 
On Tuesday, I was painfree and up for anything.  PT decided that I would run a bit and I was pretty excited.  Yes, I know that I have openly mocked those who claim they love to run. I held two firm reasons for my mocking: 1.  Humans should only run if you are being chased; especially if you are being chased by bears.  2.  God did not put us at the top of the food chain so we had to run.  As hard as this is for me to admit... you were right.  It is enjoyable.  I will never be a marathon runner; maybe not even a 5K competitor.  But I am finding that I enjoy the new challenge. 
PT had me walk as much as I ran.  I would run from one direction and he would walk to meet me from the other direction.  It was a beautiful day to be outside and I think the neighbors enjoyed watching me run around the block and walk back the other direction.
Let me make it clear that I do not have the stamina or rhythymn of a runner yet.  I'm sure it looks more like I am being chased by bears when I run.  I haven't found my stride.  I'm not even sure my stride is out there to be found.  I guess that will remains to be seen.
Back in the gym, it was lots of resistance training and core on the floor.  I work hard for about 35 minutes and cool down for 5 minutes.  I have seen progress in the weeks since I started at the gym.  I don't stumble out to the car after a work out just happy to get home before my knees buckle.  I am energized and often take up my least favorite chores with enthusiasm after my exercises. 
I was at my doctor's office last week and am happy to report that I have lost over 35 pounds since my diabetes diagnosis (sorry for the shameless bragging!).  Giving all the glory to God for his hand in my diet and exercise!  I have very little willpower and my history with exercise has been a love/hate relationship.  I really don't have a hard time passing up sweets most of the time.  Of course, I do enjoy treats every once in a while and sometimes I just really need ice cream!  Oh, speaking of ice cream.  I also saw my dietician last week also.  ( My dietician is an amazing lady who has cheered me through the months since my diagnosis. She works hard to make my eating healthy and enjoyable.  She always has great ideas on how to enjoy a treat without sabotaging my diet.  Most of her suggestions are great.  A couple... well, not so much.  She once told me that sugar free pudding frozen tastes just like ice cream.  Of course, this leads me to believe that she has never eaten ice cream before in her life!  It's not even close in my book.  Bless her heart! 
Anyway, although my blood sugars are still a bit unpredictable, I haven't crashed and burned for several weeks.  I am still very vigilant about my eating and blood sugar, but I am more confident than I have been for quite some time.
I wasn't back in the gym until Saturday last week as PT was sick and I was busy with end of the school year celebrations at church.  Saturday trips to the gym are cardio work outs.  It feels good to walk out of the gym sweaty after a good hour of biking, elliptical and treadmill. 
I play sand volleyball on a church league during the summers and have been itching to get into the sand and play.  Our Saturday practice was rained out and moved to Wendy's when the thunder and lighting chased us from the court.  Sunday's games were called on account of the sand volleyball courts are now home to small pools of water.  I didn't miss freezing and coming home wet and very dirty. 
The next week is filled with opportunities to celebrate with my high school senior youth group members as they graduate and begin a new chapter in their lives.  I enjoy going to the open houses, visiting with friends and watching these young people with admiration at the amazing men and women they have become.  I can remember these young people when they were in my first vacation bible school preschool/kindergarten class.  The young men tower over me now and make me feel a bit older than I used to be.   I am so impressed by how kind, considerate and compassionate these amazing people are.  What a blessing to be a part of their lives.  I look forward to seeing what paths the Lord will lead them down.  No matter where they go and how old they grow, they are always "my kids". 
OK, I'll admit it... I am also looking forward to scoring a piece of graduation cake.  I'm sure my dietician would tell me that the raw veggie and fruit salad taste just as wonderful as cake.  However, she will not be there and I will never tell.

2 comments:

Steve at Random said...

Congrats on losing 35 pounds and toning your body. I still don't like to run, but I don't mind walking.

Lisa Grace said...

Thanks, Steve. Walking is great and I prefer to be outside walking and running. Wonder if that will happen anytime soon?!