Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jobs I Wouldn't Want to Have

This will not go down in the books as the best week I have ever lived. Tow truck on Monday. Snow on Tuesday, Jump start on Wednesday. Jump start on Thursday morning in 33 below weather (without wind chill) and a new battery. (Thanks Ar VEE - you were right!) I have been fortunate in each circumstance to have someone to help me and those people were surprisingly pleasant. (See previous blog)
My gratitude for the tow truck guy made me look around at others who have occupations that are made harder by weather conditions, the people they serve or the very nature of their jobs. Here are a couple of jobs I would NOT want to have:
Postal Route Personnel - They are out delivering the mail in every kind of weather - freezing cold, blistering heat, rain, sleet, dark of night. You deserve every penny.
Crossing Guard/Playground attendent - Little kids don't seem to notice the cold. I can stand outside for approximately 2.76 seconds before my finger start to go numb.
Garbage Collection People - See Postal Workers.
Daycare Providers - I do children's ministry. I love children. However, my sister-in-law did daycare for three years. I need adult conversation. I like to get out and about during the day and see other people. God Bless you!
Massage Therapist - 99.752 percent of the population look better with their clothes on. My massage therapist is amazing. I couldn't do what you do.
Police Officers - I actually went to school for a short time to be a police officer. Whew! Dodged a bullet there. These people put up with all kinds of obnoxious, intoxicated, angry people every day in all kinds of weather. Thank God someone wants to do it!
Telemarketers - I can't take that much rejection!
I have worked several jobs, especially in my post-high school years that were not ideal. I cleaned dog kennels for a while. I worked at a retail store at Christmas time. I worked at a domestic violence shelter with women whose abusers were so violent they had to be moved from shelter to shelter so they couldn't be found. Each of these jobs taught me something that I still apply to my life today.
When you are tempted to be short-tempered with a customer service representative who seems to be moving at the speed of dark, remember that they are just trying to pay the bills. This probably isn't their dream job either. Thank them for their time. Praise great service. Be generous to an ambitious server. Be thankful there are those who will do these jobs so we don't have to.

6 comments:

Steve at Random said...

I can think of several jobs I wouldn't want to do -- and they were all jobs that my Dad did. He worked in an underground coal mine where the coal seam was no more than 36 inches high. Think of working on your knees underground all day -- or all night long. Then he worked on oil rigs that were affectionately called "widow makers" in all temperatures. Finally, he was a gauger in the oil fields where he still had to brave the outdoor weather extremes plus drive a 100 miles or so every day he worked plus walk to the tops of tank batteries carrying a heavy tray full of oil testing equipment while wearing insulated coveralls. About the only "disease" I can get where I work is carpal tunnel syndrome. Dad could get -- and probably did -- black lung and who know what from working around crude oil and brackish water. He also had his teeth knocked out by a sledge hammer and his ankle crushed when a semi drove over him.

Lisa Grace said...

AND all of this before OSHA when they didn't need the safety equipment and features that they do now. It's amazing what people can do/tolerate/enjoy for the sake of a paycheck

Ar Vee said...

I could write on and on about dirty jobs.Check out the boys on the work-over rigs,they are out there,believe it or not,sweating in this cold weather.I parked a truck by the "well" once on a windy day and the fluid that hit my truck peeled the paint.That just cannot be good for skin.In this cold weather I also think of the guy working under a ranch pickup when the snow and ice start to melt in the,slightly warmer than outside shop.Farm animal waiste,cold water and ice finding its way to the face and eyes.YUK!I also found walking through 6 inches of GUK in a barn-yard an interesting way to spend a day.The smell alone can knock you over.Beagle has the job I can't imagine.Ambulance and hospital,he can watch "Life in the ER" at meal time. I was lucky enough to see my Dad in the oil fields.He frequented many oil companies,and many tank batteries in a day.I was usually somewhere he would pass by.What a pleasure,he would stop by and visit.I was normally alone all day so it was extra special when He stopped to see what I was doing.I welded in the oilfields.The only thing I can think of any more dangerous is jumping out of airplanes.There were times I would stop for gas after work,after an oilfield accident,and the attendants would say,We heard that was you----.I learned in the oil industry there are alot of near misses compared to every injury.I've leaned to appreciate those who raise our beef and the support systems that keep the auto industry moving.They say"it takes all kinds"and I believe it does.Lately,I'm wondering why anyone would want to be a teacher,then I remember the snow melting under the pickup.

Lisa Grace said...

For every profession that involves muck, mud, sweat, stink, daily visits to tragic family crises and danger, there are those who couldn't imagine doing anything else. Sit at a desk all day and answer the phone -- they would sooner be tortured with bamboo. I agree, it does take all kinds.

Steve at Random said...

This could also turn into -- worst jobs we've ever had. Mine was working the night shift at Eddy's Bakery in Missoula when I went to college. Think of working in front of a hot oven for eight hours unloading piping hot trays of bread -- four to a pan. I had burns up and down my arms. No fun...and boring to boot.

Ar Vee said...

It's amazing all the people behind the scenes of our lives.I shall remember that one and appreciate my next sandwitch a little more.Just think,it starts out a seed and goes from there to when it's consumed or tossed without much thought of the work involved.