Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thanks Mr. Tow Truck Guy!

This week's Monday started out like any other day. The alarm went off at 6:30 a.m. - two hours before I was ready to get up. I had cleaned at home all weekend dejunking closets, disinfecting counters and trying to determine the cause of my vacuum's decision to blow instead of suck. Sunday was my day of rest and worship, so I napped just to keep with the whole "rest" theme.
Monday morning dawned cold. The sun doesn't rise hear until about 8:25 a.m., so it seems even earlier than 7:30 a.m. when I opened the garage door and attempted to get the car out of the driveway. I say attempted because I was not successful in actually getting out the driveway. My car got stuck in the middle of the wasteland formerly known as the driveway - a passageway from garage to alley. No amount of alternating between reverse and drive would dislodge the car. It only succeeded in burying the front tires into ruts. After about 30 minutes of shoveling and resisting the urge to speak in cursive, I gave up and called the tow truck to rescue me from my driveway.
This has been a busy season for our tow truck techinicians. They told me I would have a two hour wait, to which I responded, "I'll be here. I'm not going anywhere until you get here." They commented thankfully that I was very understanding compared other customers they had encountered that day. There's no point in being tough on these guys. You have to wait your turn. Didn't they teach us that in kindergarten?
The tow truck driver guy came - earlier than estimated - and within 10 minutes had my car winched out of the hole I had created and ready to back out into the alley. He was polite and pleasant. I wouldn't have been happier.
As I jumped/crawled into his truck cab to write out the check, he told me that he had been at the scene of an accident at 1 a.m. and hadn't slept since that time. He was on his way south to Fort Rice and Cannonball (quite a jaunt from Mandan) and hoped to get some sleep soon. He apologized for the cost of his services, it was quite a steep bill. However, I wasn't in the market to shop around AND I keep roadside assistance on my car insurance for just this reason.
As he drove away, I said a little prayer for him. Here'a young man who works out in the elements at all hours of the day and night. He often gets called out to terrible accidents, apparently works with many disgruntled customers and has to pull people out of bad decisions that ended up being accidents.
As I drove to work, my mind was already trying to devise a plan to remove the snow from my driveway to avoid crossing paths with another tow truck driver. Many wonderful people have pitched in to help out since Monday and I have a bobcat coming on Saturday to work on the back area of my house. I guess winter does bring out the best in some people. Maybe it's that I live in a state that still believes in helping out their neighbor. When you stop giving each other a hand, you have to pay someone to give you a tow.

2 comments:

Steve at Random said...

Belinda's dad used to own a body shop in Glendive and also had a wrecker service. I went on a call with him one time. I'm sure the job gets a little harried when your dealing with people who have been in wrecks, etc. Anytime I hear of someone working with the public, I thank God I have my job. That's one reason I try to be extra nice to servers in restaurants.

Lisa Grace said...

I agree! I think everyone should have to do a six month stint working with the public. It would really change the way your view others who serve you!