Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome 2009!

2009 entered rather quietly for me. I had a gathering of friends at my house on New Year's Eve. We spent the evening enjoying wonderful food, great conversation, more food -- what could be better?!? However, I could see that as we passed the 10 p.m. mark, my guests began to droop. By 11 p.m., even the teenagers made a quiet exit and I was left alone to ponder 2009 as I washed dishes and turned off lights.
I poured myself a glass of sparkling juice and Lucy did a final sweep of the house to snarf up crumbs and a discarded cookie. I turned on the television and watched as the Waterford crystal-clad ball dropped in New York. I wondered about the sanity of those standing in the freezing cold for 12 hours just to ring in the New Year at Time Square. I was in my comfy pajamas in a warm living room enjoying the Christmas tree lights with a furry, faithful companion by my side. Life is good!
Excitement may not be an adjective many people use to describe my life. Although my schedule is pretty full, it's very predictable. I used to long for a life that was one adventure after another. Now that I am a little older, even normal things can be considered an adventure. Parking at WalMart on any given Saturday -- not for the faint of heart. Taking a vanload full of youth groups kids out-of-state for a weekend of outdoor concerts -- let's see Sylvester Stallone tack that one! Eating Mexican food within four hours of bedtime - that's all the danger I can handle.
I'm not that old. On my next birthday, I'll be 30 something. However, my knees can already predict the weather better than any local meteorologist. (I'd love a job where I only needed to be right 30 percent of the time!) Walking down the mall last month, I saw two teenagers in a very vivid "public display of affection" (PDA). Instantly I thought, "Does your mother know you do that?". Yikes!!! My grandmother has been reincarnated!
My life is not boring. I like to try new things, but as my father says, I like to let my hair down. It's just that I'm a pretty short-haired person. I hope that 2009 holds just enough adventure to keep me young, just enough danger to keep me faithful in prayer and just enough tums that I can eat Mexican at least once a month.
My wish to you... just enough!

5 comments:

Steve at Random said...

If I start to think too long about a new year, I start to feel like a veteran athlete at the start of another baseball season. I begin to ask a lot of questions, like, can my knees take another season of sliding into second base? Will my weak left shoulder hold up so I can throw out runners at home plate? Will my eyes be quick enough to pick up the rotation of the ball or will they start getting me out on curve balls? Then, however, I see my 88-year-old father come out of his bedroom in search of another breakfast of corn flakes and cut-up banana and I think, what's one more year...yeah, I can still hit the curve! Happy New Year!

Ar Vee said...

My years have come and gone fast.Some years came in and I felt 90,aches and pains.One winter I lost the use of my right arm for a while.That will make any person feel old.This year,10 years later,I felt like a kid.With 15 min. till midnight I'm frantically unwrapping fire works to bring in the New Year.I was more exited than my boys.Time has a way of dealing us a variety of emotions.For me it's like they say about weather.If you don't like it wait an hour and it will change.I realized at Christmas this year I want nothing.The Bible says "The Lord is my shepherd,I shall not Want.For my person I am content.I hope for peace around the world.But at a slightly older age,I see God has answered my prayer requests.There were times I wondered.I remember thinking,somewhere in my 40s,I was to old to watch the New Year come in.Come on!I was tired.Now,I wouldn't miss it!It excites me to have a NEW year.God willing,I try to make next years New Years Party better than this one.I'm thinking it takes being sick to really appreciate good health,and loneliness to really appreciate company.And maybe the mistakes of the old year to make the possibility for a better year ahead.I saw alot of enthusiam on the cold faces in Time Square,and that made me happy.People getting along with people.

Lisa Grace said...

So true! Sometimes it takes getting a little older to understand how important each day is. You also realize that God doesn't guarantee you the next year. You always want to make the new year better than the last year. I guess I'd better start planning for my next New Year's party.

Steve at Random said...

Wow...ArVee...I'm so fired up now, I might stay up until midnight on January 6th even though I was in bed at 11 p.m. on New Years Eve. But then, I didn't have fireworks to shoot off either.

Ar Vee said...

Steve;To you I say,After watching people in South Korea and many other places celebrate on my TV,"It was 12 o'clock somewhere"!!I watched that ball drop in Time Square more than once.There are not many days a person can watch time move around the world like that.What Fun!